Computer Memory is a physical device which is capable of storing data whether it is big or small and stores it temporarily or permanently. In addition, both computer memory and disk space are measured in these units. But it’s important not to confuse between these bits and bytes. In computer systems, a unit of data that is eight binary digits long is known as a byte (B).
Types of various Units of Computer Memory Measurement
- Bits (b) : A computer processor is made up of multiple decisive circuits, each one of which may be either OFF or ON. These two states in terms of memory are represented by 0 or 1. In order to count higher than 1, such bits (BInary digiTS) are suspended together.
- Byte (B) : A group of eight bits is known as a byte. It is the unit that computers use to represent a character such as a letter, number or a typographic symbol.
- Kilo Byte (KB) : A kilobyte is not exactly, as one might expect, of 1000 bytes. Rather, the correct amount is 2^10 i.e. 1024 bytes. Kilobytes are mostly used to measure the size of small files.
- Mega Byte (MB) : Megabytes are mostly used to measure the size of large files. For example, a high resolution JPEG image might range in size from 1-5 megabytes.
- Giga Byte (GB) : Gigabytes, are sometimes also abbreviated as “gigs, ” and are often used to measure storage device’s capacity. e.g., a standard DVD drive can hold 4.7 GBs of data.
- Tera Byte (TB) : Mostly the storage capacity of large storage devices is measured in TeraBytes. Around 2007, consumer hard drives reached a capacity of 1 Tera Byte. Now, HDDs are measured in Terabytes.
- Peta Byte (PB) : Most of the storage devices can hold a maximum of a few TBs, therefore, petabytes are rarely used to measure memory capacity of a single device.
- Exa Byte (EB) : Exabytes measure the amount of data over multiple data storage networks or the amount of data that is being transferred over the Internet for a certain amount of time.
- Zetta Byte (ZB) : Zettabyte is used to measure the large amounts of data and all the data in the world is just a few zettabytes.
- Yotta Byte (YB) : t is a very large number that human can evaluate. There is no practical use of such a large measurement unit because all the data in the world made of just a few zettabytes.